waxantiques

Walter And Charles Sissons

Walter & Charles Sissons

This business originated in Sheffield in 1786 as Roberts, Cadman & Co and managed by Samuel Roberts Jr (son of Samuel Roberts Sr) and George Cadman (apprenticed under Samuel Roberts Sr) and with the Rev. Benjamin Naylor as “sleeping” partner until c.1794 (financial only). This partnership, with the addition of George Ingall (1816), was succeeded in 1826 by S. Roberts, Smith & Co, the partners were Samuel Roberts Jr, his nephew Evan Smith, his cousin’s son Sidney Roberts and William Sissons. In 1833, the partners were Samuel Roberts, Evan Smith and William Sissons. Samuel Roberts retired in 1848 and the business became Smith, Sissons & Co.

In 1858 the business became W & G Sissons under William Sissons Jr. and George Sissons, 1st mark entered as Henry Smith in London 1864. Other marks were entered in London in 1866 and 1887. Later, the firm became a limited company. In 1943, the manufacturing silversmiths business was transferred to Bell Reproductions Ltd (a subsidiary firm). Roberts & Cadman (1785) and Roberts, Smith & Co (1828) registered Old Sheffield Plate marks with the figural symbol of the “bell”. The “bell” symbol was maintained by W&C and W&G Sissons in their electroplated silverware.

There are no products for this maker.

read more

Walter And Charles Sissons

Walter & Charles Sissons

This business originated in Sheffield in 1786 as Roberts, Cadman & Co and managed by Samuel Roberts Jr (son of Samuel Roberts Sr) and George Cadman (apprenticed under Samuel Roberts Sr) and with the Rev. Benjamin Naylor as “sleeping” partner until c.1794 (financial only). This partnership, with the addition of George Ingall (1816), was succeeded in 1826 by S. Roberts, Smith & Co, the partners were Samuel Roberts Jr, his nephew Evan Smith, his cousin’s son Sidney Roberts and William Sissons. In 1833, the partners were Samuel Roberts, Evan Smith and William Sissons. Samuel Roberts retired in 1848 and the business became Smith, Sissons & Co.

In 1858 the business became W & G Sissons under William Sissons Jr. and George Sissons, 1st mark entered as Henry Smith in London 1864. Other marks were entered in London in 1866 and 1887. Later, the firm became a limited company. In 1943, the manufacturing silversmiths business was transferred to Bell Reproductions Ltd (a subsidiary firm). Roberts & Cadman (1785) and Roberts, Smith & Co (1828) registered Old Sheffield Plate marks with the figural symbol of the “bell”. The “bell” symbol was maintained by W&C and W&G Sissons in their electroplated silverware.

There are no products for this maker.

Keep up to date with our Latest Items and News on Early Silver

    Instagram