Antique Silver Caddy Box
Maker: Joseph Angell
A very ornamental antique silver tea caddy of rectangular form having a side hinged lid and integral feet. The sides...Buy NowEnquire
A very ornamental antique silver tea caddy of rectangular form having a side hinged lid and integral feet. The sides and top have embossed scenes of chinoiserie decoration with excellent quality hand engraved detail. The front and back panels contain a shaped scroll cartouche with the expressive face of a lion with his flowing mane and one paw outstretched to the top and, a shell within matted brickwork to the bottom – all this bears a striking similarity to the #9454 Edward Wakelin caddy dated 1748 in our archive collection.
Weight 371 grams, 11.9 troy ounces.
Height 13cm. Base measures 108.8cm.
Maker Joseph Angell.
Marks. Stamped underneath with a full set of English silver hallmarks; lion, date letter and maker’s mark under the lid.
Chinoiserie. The popularity of Chinoiserie emerged in the late 17th century as Europe became fascinated with the exotic East. Silverware of normal European forms was decorated with charming scenes representing Chinamen, birds and Chinese landscapes. The attraction of this silverware has continued in popularity across the centuries with many developments in the chinoiserie style decoration.
Literature. A Tea Caddy is a box, jar, canister, or other receptacle used to store tea. The word is believed to be derived from “catty”, the Chinese pound, equal to about a pound and a third avoirdupois. The earliest examples that came to Europe were Chinese tea canisters in blue and white porcelain with china lids or stoppers. Tea in the early 18th Century was expensive, and also there was a tax on tea, so early tea caddies were small and made in precious materials such as silver, shagreen or tortoiseshell which reflected the valuable contents within.
This useful silver box is in very good condition. The hinge works well. Moderate signs of wear commensurate with age.
Maker: Joseph Angell
Originally a firm of manufacturing silversmiths, the Angell family business became one of the largest and most important silver and jewellery manufacturers and retailers in London in the mid 19th century. They participated in many major exhibitions worldwide and won many awards of excellence. The founder, Joseph Angell, was apprenticed to Henry Nutting 1796, free 1804. First mark entered as plateworker 1811, second marks 1824. Third in partnership with his brother John Angell (apprenticed to William Elliott 1799, free 1807) in 1831. In circa 1837 Joseph’s son Joseph joined the business which became Angell, Son & Angell. In 1840 John Angell left and Joseph Angell senior and junior continued with a new mark (JA over JA). Joseph junior continued in his own name after his father’s retirement in 1848, participating in many major exhibitions and winning many awards of excellence, particularly for his enamel work. 1867-76 he was in partnership with John Browne after which he traded as Angell & Co. John Angell’s son, John Charles Angell was apprenticed to his father 1825, free 1832. He entered his first mark together with his brother George in 1840. George continued the business after John’s death in 1850 as George Angell & Co (1852-1860). George died in 1884 when the firm was taken over by Frederick Courthope who continued to trade under the same name until 1889.
Customer satisfaction is our primary concern
All silverware on our website is checked thoroughly prior to offering it for sale and every product listing contains a condition report and details of the silver hallmarks.
All items offered on our website include:
- Free Shipping Worldwide
- Tracked and Insured
- 14 day no quibble money back guarantee
- We are accredited members of LAPADA and conform to their strict professional standards
- We dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payments
More detailed information about deliveries, returns and how to pay is available in the Help section at the bottom of this page.