Antique Silver Hunting Jug
Maker: Hunt & Roskell
Of sporting interest. A Victorian sterling silver flagon with hinged lid and scroll handle. The body has a deep relief...
Of sporting interest. A Victorian sterling silver flagon with hinged lid and scroll handle. The body has a deep relief hunting scene with horses and riders hunting to hounds. The lid has a dog finial. Gilt interior. Contains 1400 ml. Weight 1039 grams. Height 26.5cm. Spread 21.5cm. London 1858. Maker Hunt & Roskell, late Storr & Mortimer.
The jug is in very good condition with no damage. The decoration is crisp. Stamped on all 3 pieces with English silver hallmarks.
Maker: Hunt & Roskell
Hunt & Roskell, a renowned jewellers and silversmiths on Bond Street, London, held the Royal Warrant of Queen Victoria for many years. The firm was the successor to the celebrated silversmith Paul Storr who had left Rundell, Bridge & Rundell to set up his own workshop on Harrison Street near Clerkenwell in 1819. A couple of years later he went into partnership with John Mortimer and began trading from 13 New Bond Street as Storr & Mortimer. In 1826 they took John Samuel Hunt as partner, who brought a welcome investment capital of £5,000 with him. The firm was increasingly successful and in 1838 they moved to new premises at 156 New Bond Street. Paul Storr retired at the end of that same year and the name changed to Mortimer and Hunt operating from 1839-1843. On John Mortimer’s retirement in 1843 the business became Hunt & Roskell, the partners being John Samuel Hunt, his son John Hunt, Robert Roskell Jn. (son of pocket watchmaker Robert Roskell from Liverpool) and Charles Frederick Hancock. The firm grew in size and prosperity creating wonderful pieces of silverware from tea and coffee pots, salvers and candelabra through to presentation plates and cups as well as ornate and decorative table centre pieces. Their jewellery was equally impressive. They exhibited at the Great Exhibition held in 1851 at the Crystal Palace, London and were granted the Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria. Further exhibitions followed both at home and abroad including New York in 1853 and Paris in 1867. By the 1860’s they were reported to be employing 35 people at the New Bond Street shop and a further 80-100 at the factory on Harrison Street. They also worked in collaboration with a large number of additional craftspeople as well as retailing both jewellery and silver from other workshops such as that of Carlo Giuliano and Robert Hennell. The business continued successfully and Robert Roskell’s son Allan and John Hunt’s son John Mortimer Hunt joined in the firm. After the death of John Hunt in 1879, his son and the two Messrs Roskells continued in partnership until 1888 when Allan Roskell and John Mortimer Hunt took over the business between them. In 1889 the partnership was dissolved and the business was sold to J.W. Benson of Ludgate Hill who kept the name and continued trading under Hunt & Roskell until 1897 when it was converted into a limited company Hunt & Roskell Ltd which remained trading until the 1960s.
Customer satisfaction is our primary concern
All silverware on our website is checked thoroughly prior to offering it for sale and every product listing contains a condition report and details of the silver hallmarks.
All items offered on our website include:
- Free Shipping Worldwide
- Tracked and Insured
- 14 day no quibble money back guarantee
- We are accredited members of LAPADA and conform to their strict professional standards
- We dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payments
More detailed information about deliveries, returns and how to pay is available in the Help section at the bottom of this page.
Recently Viewed Products
Keep up to date with our Latest Items and News on Early Silver