Antique Silver Meat Dishes with Dome Covers
Maker: John Bridge
This is a stunning lot. A fine graduated set of William IV sterling silver meat dishes. Oval form with gadrooned...Buy NowEnquire
This is a stunning lot. A fine graduated set of William IV sterling silver meat dishes. Oval form with gadrooned borders. Previously owned by the Maitland* family, all pieces bearing the Maitland arms. Each dish has a hand engraved coat of arms on opposite edges. The dishes are mounted with a graduated set of matching Old Sheffield plated meat dish covers of plain oval outline with fluted borders and detachable handle. Each dome is hand engraved with a crest on one side and a coat of arms on the other. The complete set is contained in a fitted, iron-bound oak trunk. Excellent weight and gauge of silver.
Weight of the four silver meat dishes 9858 grams, 317 troy ounces approx.
The platters measure large – 61 x 44 cm, medium – 50 x 39 cm and 2 small platters 42 x 32.5 cm
Sterling silver platters made by John Bridge, London 1831.
Old Sheffield plate domes marked for Matthew Boulton.
Signed/Inscribed: *The Arms of the Maitland Clan and Earls of Lauderdale. The motto “Consiglio et Animis” translates as “Wisdom and Courage”. Minor variations on the dishes to those on the covers.
This set of graduated meat dishes is in very good condition with no damage or restoration. All completely matching and original. The sterling silver platters are stamped with a full set of English silver hallmarks for London 1831; they have minor scratching as can be expected, they have not been polished out. The Old Sheffield plated domes still retail a good silver colour, no copper showing. The hand engraving is sharp, all for the Maitland family. The wooden trunk is a bit shabby, the inner lining needs attention. Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.
Maker: John Bridge
John Bridge, London goldsmith, apprenticed 1769 to William Rogers of Bath. Arrived in London aged 22 and became shopman at Pickett and Rundell, forming a partnership with Philip Rundell circa 1788. Rundell & Bridge manufactured exquisite goods in precious and semi-precious materials, dealing in silver and silver-gilt, diamond and pearls and all manner of jewellery, gold boxes, watches and objects of vertue and the two were appointed Goldsmiths and Jewellers to the King circa 1797 and the royal warrant continued until 1843. Rundell's nephew Edmund Waller Rundell joined them in 1805 when they became known as Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. Paul Storr worked with them from 1807 until he left to form his own business in 1819. John Bridge’s first mark alone was registered as plateworker (4 sizes) in 1823 after the retirement of Philip Rundell. 2nd mark (3 sizes) 1823. Bridge’s nephew John Gawler Bridge became partner in 1827 having joined the business in 1804, free by redemption 1816, Livery 1818, Court 1831, Prime warden 1839. In 1830 Bridge formed a new firm with his nephew and Thomas Bigge which lasted until 1834. In 1842 the firm was liquidated. Among their many prestigious commissions the business was responsible for the Crown Jewels used at the coronations of George IV, William IV and Queen Victoria, as well as the wide range of banqueting plate and jewellery now in the Royal Collection.
Customer satisfaction is our primary concern
All silverware on our website is checked thoroughly prior to offering it for sale and every product listing contains a condition report and details of the silver hallmarks.
All items offered on our website include:
- Free Shipping Worldwide
- Tracked and Insured
- 14 day no quibble money back guarantee
- We are accredited members of LAPADA and conform to their strict professional standards
- We dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payments
More detailed information about deliveries, returns and how to pay is available in the Help section at the bottom of this page.