George III Silver Salver by Paul Storr
Maker: Paul Storr
A handsome antique sterling silver salver with a broad shell and gadroon border and outspreading paw feet. Fantastic quality as...
A handsome antique sterling silver salver with a broad shell and gadroon border and outspreading paw feet. Fantastic quality as you’d expect by this prestigious English master silversmith. To the centre there is a large hand engraved armorial bearing the Royal Coat of Arms superimposed by a prince or princess’s coronet. Weight 862 grams, 27.7 troy ounces. Diameter 26 cms. Height 3 cms. London 1808. Maker Paul Storr.
Literature: The Order of the Garter (the Royal Coat of Arms) is the highest order of chivalry. The motto “Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense” means “Evil (or shame) be to him that evil thinks.’ In 1808 there were only 4 royal persons entitled to use this armorial together with the prince/princess’s coronet. The provenance of this salver is unknown however it would have been commissioned by the original royal owner either for their own personal use, or as a presentation item, or it could even been part of a British ambassador’s suite of silver.
This imposing silver tray is in very good condition with no damage. Good weight. The silver marks are well stamped and clear. The borders are still crisp. There is some wear to the engraving.
Maker: Paul Storr
Paul Storr (28 October 1770 – 18 March 1844 ), was one of the most talented silversmiths of the late Georgian period. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver can be found worldwide in museums and private collections. Son of Thomas Storr, a silver chaser, apprenticed 1785 to Andrew Fogelberg. First mark, as plateworker, in partnership with William Frisbee 1792. Second mark alone 1793. 3rd mark 1793. 4th mark 1794. 5th mark 1799. Subsequent 6th - 12th marks entered 1807-1834. By the beginning of the nineteenth century, established as one of London’s top silversmiths, he was producing commissions for Royalty. In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop, however Rundell, Bridge & Rundell were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804, and through them his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II and later John Flaxman II. Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the subsequent patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV). Storr left RUNDELL, BRIDGE & RUNDELL in 1819 and went into partnership with John Mortimer, the assistant of a retiring retail goldsmith and jeweller, WILLIAM GRAY, of 13 New Bond Street. The firm was renamed STORR & MORTIMER and Storr concentrated on the manufacture of goods for Mortimer to sell in the shop at 13 New Bond Street. Storr and Mortimer, now manufacturing and retail goldsmiths, jewellers and silversmiths with an influential clientele, moved to 156, New Bond Street, in 1838. Storr retired to Tooting in 1839 and died in 1844.
Customer satisfaction is our primary concern
All silverware on our website is checked thoroughly prior to offering it for sale and every product listing contains a condition report and details of the silver hallmarks.
All items offered on our website include:
- Free Shipping Worldwide
- Tracked and Insured
- 14 day no quibble money back guarantee
- We are accredited members of LAPADA and conform to their strict professional standards
- We dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payments
More detailed information about deliveries, returns and how to pay is available in the Help section at the bottom of this page.
Recently Viewed Products
Keep up to date with our Latest Items and News on Early Silver