Georgian Silver Bread Dish by Paul Storr
Maker: Paul Storr
A fine quality and very substantial antique sterling silver dish of oval form with a half fluted body and gadroon...
A fine quality and very substantial antique sterling silver dish of oval form with a half fluted body and gadroon border. Large size. Excellent quality and good gauge silver as you’d expect from this world famous English silversmith. To the front there is a hand engraved crest with the motto “Jour de ma vie”*. Weight 1296 grams, 41.6 troy ounces. Top measures 34.5 x 22 cms. Height 13 cms. London 1799. Maker Paul Storr.
Literature: The arms borne by the Irish branch of the West family were confirmed in 1805 to James West (who afterwards married Mrs Rumbold-Lyster and assumed by Royal Licence the name of Lyster) by the Ulster King of Arms as having been ‘borne by him and his ancestors’. A ‘confirmation’ is only granted on proof of ‘user’ for at least three generations or 100 years.
The original confirmation to James West is in the office of the Ulster King of Arms in Dublin and in 1905 Erskine Eyre West took out a confirmation of these arms to the descendents of Matthew West 1 (1746 – 1806), exactly as they were confirmed to James West and his descendents, James West was the youngest brother of Jacob West II and Matthew West II, all three being sons of Matthew West I.
*Jour de ma vie’
A West, a la Warr and a Pelham took King John of France prisoner at Poitiers in 1356, The West was knighted on the field of battle by the Black Prince and after receiving the honour said to the Prince, ‘Monseigneur, c’est Ie plus beau jour de ma vie’. The West and la Warr families were shortly afterwards united in marriage and ‘Jour de ma vie’ was adopted as the family motto.
The information on which these notes are based came largely from Erskine Eyre West who died in 1950.
These arms are also used by the London and Yorkshire (East Rothernam) branches of the family (vide Burkes Armory).
Based on a letter in the Sunday Times June 23rd 1946 from Major G.Cornwallis-West.
This excellent silver roll dish is in very good condition with no damage or restoration. Good colour and weight. The crest and motto are still crisp. The silver marks are clear and well stamped. Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.
Maker: Paul Storr
Paul Storr (28 October 1770 – 18 March 1844 ), was one of the most talented silversmiths of the late Georgian period. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver can be found worldwide in museums and private collections. Son of Thomas Storr, a silver chaser, apprenticed 1785 to Andrew Fogelberg. First mark, as plateworker, in partnership with William Frisbee 1792. Second mark alone 1793. 3rd mark 1793. 4th mark 1794. 5th mark 1799. Subsequent 6th - 12th marks entered 1807-1834. By the beginning of the nineteenth century, established as one of London’s top silversmiths, he was producing commissions for Royalty. In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop, however Rundell, Bridge & Rundell were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804, and through them his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II and later John Flaxman II. Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the subsequent patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV). Storr left RUNDELL, BRIDGE & RUNDELL in 1819 and went into partnership with John Mortimer, the assistant of a retiring retail goldsmith and jeweller, WILLIAM GRAY, of 13 New Bond Street. The firm was renamed STORR & MORTIMER and Storr concentrated on the manufacture of goods for Mortimer to sell in the shop at 13 New Bond Street. Storr and Mortimer, now manufacturing and retail goldsmiths, jewellers and silversmiths with an influential clientele, moved to 156, New Bond Street, in 1838. Storr retired to Tooting in 1839 and died in 1844.
Customer satisfaction is our primary concern
All silverware on our website is checked thoroughly prior to offering it for sale and every product listing contains a condition report and details of the silver hallmarks.
All items offered on our website include:
- Free Shipping Worldwide
- Tracked and Insured
- 14 day no quibble money back guarantee
- We are accredited members of LAPADA and conform to their strict professional standards
- We dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payments
More detailed information about deliveries, returns and how to pay is available in the Help section at the bottom of this page.
Recently Viewed Products
Keep up to date with our Latest Items and News on Early Silver