Victorian Silver Trowel for Palmeira House in Hove
Maker: George Unite
An excellent quality antique sterling silver presentation trowel with an inscription to one side and a finely engraved image of...
An excellent quality antique sterling silver presentation trowel with an inscription to one side and a finely engraved image of Palmeira House (see detailed description) to the other. Would make an ideal cake slice. Length 34 cms. Width 10.5 cms. London 1893. Maker George Unite.
Literature: A presentation trowel was traditionally given to commemorate laying the foundation stone of a building. It should bear an inscription with the name of the dignitary laying the stone, the building and the date of commencement (or completion) of the project. Special examples can sometimes have an engraved representation of the building. On rare occasions a life size presentation shovel was given to commemorate “the turning of the first sod”.
Signed/Inscribed: Palmeira House The building at 75 Holland Road in Hove, part of the English coastal city of Brighton and Hove, is now in residential use as loft-style apartments called Palmeira Yard, but was originally a repository belonging to the Brighton & Hove Co-operative Supply Association, the main cooperative business organisation in the area. Elaborately designed in 1893 in the French Second Empire style by local architect Thomas Lainson of the firm Lainson & Sons, the storage building had built-in stables and was lavishly decorated with terracotta. After a period of ownership by haulage and removals company Pickfords, who used the building for furniture storage, a local architecture firm carried out the conversion into mixed-use live-work units between 2004 and 2006. English Heritage has listed the building at Grade II for its architectural and historical importance.
This unusual silver trowel is in excellent condition with no damage or restoration. The engraving is sharp. The hallmarks are clear and easy to read. There is a wear mark on the handle and some light scratching to one side of the blade (see photos). Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.
Maker: George Unite
George Unite and James Hilliard founded the business in 1825 in Birmingham. The partnership was closed before 1845 and the business was continued by George Unite in Birmingham and London until circa 1865. The firm advertised as manufacturer of Gold and Silver brooches, bracelets, fish carvers, dessert knives and forks, card cases, cake knives, knife fork and spoon, fruit knives, butter knives, pickle forks, caddy shells, sugar scoops and sifters, cups, cigar cases, pens, etc..... The firm became George Unite & Sons in circa 1865 continuing until the death of George Richard Unite in 1897. William Henry Lyde (electroplate manufacturer) took over the business and in 1928 the business became a limited company George Unite Sons & Lyde Ltd
Customer satisfaction is our primary concern
All silverware on our website is checked thoroughly prior to offering it for sale and every product listing contains a condition report and details of the silver hallmarks.
All items offered on our website include:
- Free Shipping Worldwide
- Tracked and Insured
- 14 day no quibble money back guarantee
- We are accredited members of LAPADA and conform to their strict professional standards
- We dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payments
More detailed information about deliveries, returns and how to pay is available in the Help section at the bottom of this page.
Recently Viewed Products
Keep up to date with our Latest Items and News on Early Silver