William and Mary Provincial Silver Beaker
Date: Circa 1691
A rare piece of British provincial silver. A Scottish or Yorkshire silver beaker of plain, tapered cylindrical form having a...Buy NowEnquire
A rare piece of British provincial silver. A Scottish or Yorkshire silver beaker of plain, tapered cylindrical form having a plain base with simple foot wires. The underside displays very prominent soldering – see condition report.
Contains 250 ml.
Weight 158 grams,5 troy ounces.
Height 9.9 cm. Diameter 7.8 cm.
Yorkshire or Scotland circa 1691.
Maker’s mark “Crown over S.S”.
Marks. These marks are very interesting and worthy of further research.
1. Jackson’s “Silver & Gold Marks” page 476 records this same mark “h, S.S, Catherine wheel and S.S”, without the thistle, as unascribed Yorkshire circa 1691.
2. G.E.P How’s article “Early Scottish Spoons” in the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol.69, January 14th 1935, p.152 discusses this same mark on a trefid spoon with the thistle and a possibility of a Scottish origin. He remarks that the letter “h” is similar to the Inverness mark for the date 1688 and suggests that if the beaker is Scottish the thistle may be the earliest example of this mark.
The beaker is in very good condition. Please note that the solder on the underside of the beaker is unusually prominent. We have taken specialist advice regarding this and are satisfied that this solder is from the original manufacture and is not the result of a repair.
No maker assigned
Customer satisfaction is our primary concern
All silverware on our website is checked thoroughly prior to offering it for sale and every product listing contains a condition report and details of the silver hallmarks.
All items offered on our website include:
- Free Shipping Worldwide
- Tracked and Insured
- 14 day no quibble money back guarantee
- We are accredited members of LAPADA and conform to their strict professional standards
- We dispatch 1-3 days after receiving cleared payments
More detailed information about deliveries, returns and how to pay is available in the Help section at the bottom of this page.
Recently Viewed Products
Keep up to date with our Latest Items and News on Early Silver